Palace too strong for SuperSport

Palace too strong for SuperSport
David Mathebula of Supersport United evades challenge from Martin Kelly of Crystal Palace during the 2015 Cape Town Cup Football Match between Supersport United and Crystal Palace at Cape Town Stadium, Cape Town, 24 July 2015

by Staff Reporter

Friday Jul 24, 2015. 19:43

Crystal Palace proved too strong for SuperSport United as they cruised to a 4-0 win in the first semifinal of the Cape Town Cup on Friday evening at Cape Town Stadium.

Goals from Mile Jedinak, Chung-Yong Lee, Jordan Mutch and Frazier Campbell in the first half sealed the deal for the Londoners.

As early as the third minute Palace captain Mile Jedinak led by example, beating SuperSport United goalkeeper Ronwen Williams from close range to give his side an early 1-0 lead.

After the early goal, Palace kept on with the attack as SuperSport’s central defence zone of returnee Bongani Khumalo and debutant Michael Boxall looked shaky and out of sorts.

Williams made a few saves to ensure that the score remained reasonable. But in the 17th minute Palace sneaked through and found the back of the net through Chung-Yong Lee after Williams had given the ball away cheaply.

SuperSport striker Dove Wome did try to register his name on the score sheet in the 28th minute but had no success with his long range shot.

A minute later Jordon Mutch powered through on goal and left the defence flat-footed, scoring the third goal as Palace made things even harder for SuperSport United.

As if that was enough, five minutes later Fraizer Campbell also registered his name on the score sheet as he took the score to 4-0 with a deft finish from close range.

In the second half SuperSport coach Gordon Igesund made three changes bringing on Morne Nel, Grant Kekana and Kingston Nkhatha in place of Roscoe Pietersen, Michael Boxall and David Mathebula.

The changes worked well as SuperSport were far better in the second half with Jeremy Brockie giving the Palace defence some work to do.

Then in the 64th minute Williams pulled off a great save denying Bamford a goal which would have seen his side trailing by 5-0.

Palace new signing Yohan Cabaye, a second half substitute, tried to find another goal for his team but SuperSport’s defence was well alert.

Towards the dying minutes of the match, the visitors received a free kick and it was Cabaye who took a chance on goal, but Williams was alert and made a good save.

Crystal Palace were worthy winners and will play in Sunday’s Final.

SuperSport United 0
Crystal Palace (4) 4 (Jedinak 3’ Chung-Yong Lee 17’ Mutch 29' Campbell 34')