Sporting beat Ajax in thrilling shootout

Sporting beat Ajax in thrilling shootout
Granwald Scott of Ajax Cape Town battles for the ball with Andre Martins of Sporting Lisbon during the 2015 Cape Town Cup Football Match between Ajax Cape Town and Sporting Lisbon at Cape Town Stadium, Cape Town, 24 July 2015

by Staff Reporter

Friday Jul 24, 2015. 22:26

Sporting Clube de Portugal beat Ajax Cape Town 4-2 on penalties after a thrilling 2-2 draw in the second semifinal of the Cape Town Cup.

Carlos Mane opened the scoring for Sportng before Cecil Lolo netted an equaliser from the penalty spot.

Then Franklin Cale broke away to score a fantastic second for Ajax, but Sporting replied through Ruben Semedo to take the game to penalties.

Sporting netted all four penalty kicks in the shootout while Abbubaker Mobara and Franklin Cale missed for Ajax.

The match started at a high intensity with both teams attacking one another and asking questions of the defence.

In the 19th minute of the match, Carlos Mané gave Sporting the breakthrough as he found the back of the net from close range after a great attacking move from the left.

Sporting tried to push for a second goal, but young Bafana Bafana player Rivaldo Coetzee proved why he is one of the best defenders in the country as he managed to put a stop to several attacks.

In the 29th minute, Bantu Mzwakali came one on one with Rui Patricio, but his shot was pushed wide of the upright

The host team continued to attack and looked a good bet to find an equalizer. But then in the 40th minute Islam Slimani couldn’t make use of the space he had and volleyed the ball way over the bar.

In the second half Riyaad Norodien continued to cause havoc for the Sporting defence with strong runs down the flanks and crosses into the box.

In the 62nd minute, Mzwakali wasted another good opportunity from close range that could have given Ajax an equalizer.

Six minutes later Sporting finally cracked as Ajax were awarded a penalty following a hand ball inside the box. It was Cecil Lolo who took it and made no mistake sending the ball into the back of the net.

In the 80th minute Franklin Cale ran onto a great Toriq Losper through ball and beat the Sporting goalkeeper in a one on one encounter to give Ajax a 2-1 lead.

But just four minutes later Rúben Semedo spoilt the party, finding an equalizer through a header from a corner kick.

The match went straight to penalties and Sporting won the shootout 4-2 and will now meet Crystal Palace in the final on Sunday afternoon.